Marcus Ogden was a successful NFL player for 5 years and went on to launch an incredibly successful construction firm in his retirement before losing it all. This is a story about doing everything right but making one mistake that can cause you everything. But the best part of the story is how you make your comeback from that, and we’re going to share his tremendously inspiring story that read to his latest book, The Success Cycle, which talks about the 3 keys for achieving your goals in business and life.
- What happened when you started your company and made one crucial mistake?
- How did you learn to overcome your ego?
- Why do so many NFL retirees go broke, and how can we break that trend?
- How did this hit you personally?
- What were the steps you took to pick yourself back up?
- What are the 3 keys to success?
- How do you view money today?
In 2003 Marques was drafted into the NFL as an offensive lineman, and after 5 years of playing in the league, he decided to retire and pursue a career in construction and contracting. At the age of 27, Marques founded a construction company called Kayden Premier Enterprises. The company had fast growth and in 2010 Marques won the African American Subcontractor of the Year Award in the state of Maryland. Eventually, his business went bankrupt, losing almost 2 million dollars on one project in a matter of 90 days. During his darkest hours, he pulled himself together, got a part-time job as a custodian, and with hard work and determination became an inspirational keynote speaker, executive coach, best-selling author, and marketing leader, helping to build the success of others.
Follow me on social media @ChrisWHarder on Instagram