I’m sitting down with Chris Voss today, once the FBI’s top international kidnapping negotiator, negotiating over 150 cases. He has now taken all of the methods he used in that role and applies those to the business world.
Chris teaches business negotiation at a high level, at universities, at business schools, and even at Harvard University. He’s also the author of the hit book Never Split the Difference, where he reveals all his secrets so you can come out on top in your negotiations.
If you want to learn how to negotiate in business, or for a better income, or in your relationships, or life in general, this episode is for you.
- Do you walk into a car dealership knowing you’re going to school the dealer?
- Can you share a little about our natural tendencies?
- What’s the single best lesson we need to learn when it comes to negotiating with other humans?
- What’s the biggest mistake people usually make?
- What if you’re trying to get someone to talk and they’re just quiet?
- What is “tactical empathy”?
- What role does generosity play in negotiations?
Chris Voss is CEO of the Black Swan Group and author of the national best-seller
“Never Split The Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It,” which was
named one of the seven best books on negotiation. A 24-year veteran of the FBI, Chris
retired as the lead international kidnapping negotiator. Drawing on his experience in
high-stakes negotiations, his company specializes in solving business communication
problems using hostage negotiation solutions. Their negotiation methodology focuses
on discovering the “Black Swans,” small pieces of information that have a huge effect
on an outcome. Chris and his team have helped companies secure and close better
deals, save money, and solve internal communication problems.
Chris has been featured in TIME, Business Insider, Entrepreneur, Inc., Fast Company,
Fortune, The Washington Post, SUCCESS Magazine, Squawk Box, CNN, ABC News and
Follow me on social media @ChrisWHarder on Instagram and check out www.ForTheLoveOfMoney.com
You’re Going To Hear About:
- How someone ends up as an FBI negotiator
- Figuring out how to make a deal that benefits both sides
- The risks of exploitation
- How people are hard-wired for collaboration
- Minimizing how much you owe
- How to implement “tactical empathy”
- Never Split the Difference
- Newsletter: Text fbiempathy to 22828
- Free Training videos: fortheloveofmoney.com/free